La Universitat - Universitat Oberta de Catalunya

  • Share
  • Listen
  • Print

About bachelor's degree

  What bachelors degrees does the UOC offer?

The following degrees will be offered for the first time in the 2008-2009 programme: Law, Humanities and Psychology.

Go back to the table of contents 


Will the structure of the study programmes change with the entry of the European Higher Education Area (EHEA)?

Yes. Bachelors degrees have a total of 240 ECTS credits, at least 60 of which have to be general studies, and at least 36 of these 60 have to be linked to the subjects of the area of knowledge to which this degree is ascribed. All bachelors degree have to belong to one of the five areas of knowledge established: Arts and Humanities, Science, Health Sciences, Social and Legal Sciences and Engineering and Architecture. In addition, all bachelor study programmes include a final thesis and possible external examinations.

Go back to the table of contents  


Will there still be core, optional and free-elective subjects?

As a result of the discontinuance of the official qualifications catalogue and the corresponding general guidelines, the current classification of core, optional and free-elective subjects will discontinue.

The concept of core subjects will discontinue in the study programmes of the qualifications adapted to the new European Framework as there will be no qualifications catalogue. Subjects will be either obligatory or optional. There will be no free-elective subjects under their current form.

Go back to the table of contents


What steps do the Universities have to take for a new qualification to be approved?

The following bodies intervene in the approval process of a new qualification: The State Government, the universities, the competent body of the Autonomous Community corresponding to the university and the Council of Universities.

The university that wants to implement a determined qualification is to prepare the corresponding report of the education project including the general guidelines established by the Government.

The Autonomous Community corresponding to the university will authorise the implementation after assessing the interest and opportunity, as well as whether there are suitable means and resources.

The Council of Universities will check that the study programme is in accordance with the guidelines and that it is coherent with the name of the qualification proposed, and it will send it to ANECA where a committee of experts will prepare a report. If this report is positive, the Council of Universities will check that the qualification has the corresponding autonomous authorisation, it will ensure that the information published in the registry is fully correct and it will instruct its registration into the official registry. This registration represents qualification accreditation.

Go back to the table of contents


Is it possible to change bachelor’s degree and study a different one once a student has begun a degree?

Yes, by requesting a file transfer. If the original degree and the new degree belong to the same area of knowledge, the credits of general studies completed corresponding to this area of knowledge will be recognised.

Go back to the table of contents


Is it possible to study part of a qualification in a different university?

Yes, if the exchange between universities is implemented in the framework of a mobility programme, the home university will assess the credits completed in the host university and will issue the corresponding qualification.

Go back to the table of contents


May there be joint interuniversity study programmes where one joint qualification is issued?


Yes, there may be joint study programmes designed between universities that leads to the issue of one official qualification. To issue this qualification, the participating Spanish universities will have to previously sign a cooperation agreement to this effect and make an accreditation application of the qualification to the University Coordination Council.

The Spanish universities can also sign agreements with universities abroad to give joint programmes. It will be necessary to sign an agreement that establishes the conditions to implement them and to process the students’ files, and also the procedures for the issue and custody of the qualification. In this case, the Ministry will regulate the accreditation of these programmes and qualifications.


Go back to the table of contents


How many general studies credits have to be completed?

The guidelines establish that the study programme has to have a minimum of 60 ECTS of general studies.

Go back to the table of contents