The UOC's research institute, the Internet Interdisciplinary Institute (IN3), offers up to a total of 15 grants for candidates to join the PhD programme to study exclusively in one of the research lines that the UOC's groups or researchers are currently developing. The following is a description of the main characteristics of the IN3 grants (the details relating to contract conditions, to the obligations undertaken by students, etc., will be specified before the condition of IN3 scholar is accepted):
- The aim of IN3 Grants is, essentially, to cover the research period with the presentation and defence of a PhD thesis linked to the lines of research developed at the UOC.
- The scholars work place will be at the IN3 head office (Internet Interdisciplinary Institute, Universitat Oberta de Catalunya. Av. Canal Olímpic s/n. Parc Mediterrani de la Tecnologia. 08860. Castelldefels. Barcelona. Spain).
- The grants are renewable annually for up to a maximum of 4 years.
- The grants include return journeys and a sum of money for the first month set aside for PhD students living abroad.
- The full annual amount of the grants corresponds to Researcher Training grants from the Regional Government of Catalonia (approximately €10,500 gross a year for the first two years of the grant and €12,500 gross a year for the last two years of the grant - figures for 2005).