The Equality Unit is an organization accountable to the Office of the Vice President for Globalization and Cooperation of the UOC. It was established in 2008, in order to develop gender equality policies at the University.
The primary task of the Unit is to ensure equal treatment and opportunities between women and men, including all who identify as LGBTI, and to combat situations involving sexual harassment and discrimination based on sex, sexual orientation, and gender identity or expression.
Its work involves the following strategies:
- It designs the UOC's equality plans and ensures they are correctly implemented, with monitoring, follow-ups and assessment.
- It draws up gender equality analysis reports, which assess life at the UOC from a gender perspective.
- It guides the various academic and administrative bodies on gender equality policy matters.
- It proposes and incentivizes measures that promote teaching, research, knowledge transfer and administration practices that adopt the gender perspective.
- It works to ensure that the data provided by the UOC regarding its work in any area is broken down by sex.
- It is responsible for awareness-raising, education and training on gender issues, sexual diversity and equal opportunities between women and men.
- It monitors the University's communications and dissemination of news to ensure they include the gender perspective and sexual diversity, and promote women's representation.
- It prevents any discrimination on the grounds of sex, gender identity or sexual orientation at the UOC, and works to eradicate it.
- It promotes measures that encourage the equal representation of women and men in all areas of the University, and the coordinated application of the UOC's equality policies.
- It participates and collaborates in university networks specializing in gender and sexual diversity matters.