Traditionally comprised of the Rector, the Vice Rectors, the General Manager and the General Secretary, the composition of the Governing Council was enlarged in 2011 to include a teaching staff representative, a student representative and an administrative staff representative. This enlargement was carried out in line with the organizational and operational regulations of the UOC adapted to current legislation.
Within the sphere of its powers, the Governing Council has set up the Executive Board, which is a permanent management and administration body comprised of the Rector, the Vice Rectors and the General Manager. These two bodies are the principal internal collegiate governing bodies of the University.
The role of the Governing Council is to:
· Propose the University's strategic and programming lines to the Board of Trustees of the Fundació.
· Guide, plan and assess university activity in the academic aspect.
· Establish the general operating lines of the university in all academic fields.
· Ensure compliance with current legal and statutory regulations, at all times under the principles of optimization, budgetary balance and efficiency and in line with the directives issued by the Board of Trustees of the Fundació per a la Universitat Oberta de Catalunya.
The Council may create the permanent or temporary committees it deems necessary to carry out university policy.
The Governing Council approves:
· Any agreements that the university wishes to formalize.
· The syllabuses and research programmes.
· The academic calendar.
· The appointment of university representatives to other institutions.
· The university's academic rules in the sphere of teaching and research.
· The creation and allocation of teaching and research structures.
· The setting of the professional careers of the academic and administrative staff.
· The establishment of pay levels and conditions for participation in university staff selection processes.
· The definition of the staff and university structure assessment criteria.
Decisions on allocations, setting teaching careers and pay levels are, in any event, in line with the general action plan and the directives defined and approved by the Board of Trustees of the Fundació per a la Universitat Oberta de Catalunya, and with the specific budget accompanying them, as well as with the annual objectives and strategic priorities plans.
Any decisions of the Governing Council that may entail financial undertakings or that have any legal impact or create or establish obligations must have the vote in favour of the General Manager.
The Governing Council reports to the Board of Trustees of the Fundació per a la Universitat Oberta de Catalunya on the agreements formalized by the university.